Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I want to succeed



To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded. *Ralph Emerson
I sit here at my desk. . . dreading the next few hours. . . dreading the six page paper I need to write. . . wanting to fast forward time. And, then I realize. . . I'm wasting time, precious time, time that I will never get back. So I thought about it, if I live to be 100, I only have 80 years left, 365 days in each of those years and 24 hours within each day. Calculated, I have about 700,800 hours left. I didn't do these calculations to create a countdown for my life just to make me realize, there are going to be so many times in my life where I just want to fast forward, accomplish and forget the tough situations that occur. Each one of these things that I dread makes me who I am, without them, I wouldn't be where I am today. I am thankful for every minute, hour, day, year and opportunity I am given. I need to stop dreading, and start living. I am going to write that six page paper, and celebrate it's finish. Those six pages puts me one step closer to a college degree, one step closer to my dreams. . . my future. I have 2 hours and 20 minutes left of work, which is essentially about $20.50. I am lucky to be alive, I am lucky to work, to earn money and to have an education.





No comments:

Post a Comment