Wednesday, October 28, 2009


I'm taking a class this semester called, Math for Elementary Teachers. So far I love it, and I can't wait to apply the things I learn from the class in my own classroom someday. Sadly, my teacher died at 7am this morning. It is such a sad, unexpected event. She came to class Monday morning with a sore throat and a hoarse voice. No one expected that anything was wrong. By Tuesday morning we were informed that our teacher, Diane, was in the hospital...with liquid in her lungs. One of her closest friend came in to teach us that day. She said that before our teacher was sedated she made her husband promise to call her friend so that we would have someone to teach our class. What an amazing lady. On Tuesday they gave her a 50/50 chance of living, as there was blood in her lungs, and each time they removed the blood it kept coming back. I thought about it all day. It kept coming to mind, well because, I admired her. I prayed all day. Even as Jerry drove me to class this morning I prayed for good news. When I got to class, everyone was on the verge of tears. The feeling of my mom's death all came back to me. I just can't believe how someone can be here one day and gone the next. Diane was very pretty, fashionable and incredibly smart. I love the way she taught things, she taught them in ways that kids can understand, not to mention she was fun. She was always saying, " I have to show you something. It's just so cool I can't stand it." Oh, how she is going to be missed.

Death never comes easy, please keep my teachers family in your prayers. Pray for her 3 daughters and 1 son and her many grand kids that she loved so dearly. She told us daily about her grand kids and the cute things they would do. She had the biggest heart, and just last week she was trying to give away kittens that she found abandoned in the house next to hers. She had been taking care of them for days.

Last week Diane and her friend Dixie (The lady who has been teaching my class for the last 2 days) won teacher of the year! You can read about it here: http://www.standard.net/topics/weber-state-university/2009/10/26/two-wsu-math-professors-are-named-educators-year

I guess, all I can do is appreciate the fact that I got to know her during her time on earth. Better to have love and lost than to never to have loved at all sort of situation. I am ever so thankful for the things she has taught me, and in her memory I will teach math in the best way possible....her way.

1 comment:

  1. Nicole, that is so very tragic. I'm praying for her family, she looks so very young, what a tragedy for her family and you to lose an inspiring, phenomenal teacher.

    P.S. On a happy note, I'm so happy you are enjoying your class...did you ever Kiai (yell a karate yell)?

    ReplyDelete